Did you know....
- Only five subspecies of tiger exist in the
- The largest of the subspecies is the Amur
(or Siberian) Tiger
- The Sumatran Tiger is the smallest of the
- Unusually for Cats, Tigers enjoy water and
are very strong swimmers
- Only four cats are capable of roaring the
Lion, Leopard, Jaguar and the Tiger
- Tigers don't like to get too hot
- Tigers spend really hot days lying in pools
- A Tigers roar can be heard over 2km away
- Tigers roar to defend its territory or to
call its mate or cubs
- The Tigers striped coats camoflages it very
well as it stalks through long grass
- The Tiger uses its large dagger like teeth
(Canines) to stab its prey.
- One bite in the throat or the back of the
neck is enough to kill a deer
- Tigers usually hunt alone and at night
- The Tiger is not a fast runner and like most cats it stalks silently towards its prey
- Contrary to popular belief the Tiger is not
by nature a man eater
- A Tigers footprints are called 'Pug Marks'
- A Tigers tail can be up to one-third of its
total body length
- The collective name for a group of Tigers is a streak!
- Tigers purr just like domestic cats, but
the sound is about a hundred times louder
- Tigers have excellent binocular and colour
vision, over six times that of humans
- In zoo's Tigers live to about 25 years but in the wild the average age is 10 years